Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Salt and Pepper Shrimp

Eventually I'll be adding photos of my meals here, too. For now, a short paragraph on what's the deal here and what I made tonight (which was SPECTACULAR!)

My principles are generally summed up by uncluttered, simple, healthy living. At least, that's what I try for. Oh, and CHEAP. I just (and by just, I mean 4 days ago) graduated from university, with what seems to be the requisite mass of loans and debt that's too common these days. Oh, and with about 20 pounds of extra thesis-writing weight.

What I am wondering is whether I can eat healthy, for less money, and still satisfy my picky tastebuds. Right now, I'm trying Weight Watchers, so I'll give you points value for what I'm making, but ignore them if you don't care :).

So, on to tonight's recipe:

Salt and Pepper Shrimp a la NOM

26 medium shrimp
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp coarse salt (try for sea salt, if you have it)
3/4 tsp Szechuan peppercorns (you can use a mix of black, red and/or white, but try to get the Szechuan)
3 tsp oil
2 garlic cloves
tsp (or more) chili flakes

Rinse and shell the shrimp, dry them off and lightly coat them in corn starch.
Heat 2 tsp of oil (use a wok if you have one... I didn't though, so no worries), rotate to cover the pan and saute the shrimp until mostly cooked through. Take them out
Put the last tsp of oil in the pan and saute the garlic and spices* for maybe 10-15 seconds, then toss the shrimp back in. Cook for another minute or so.

You can garnish with chopped green onion. I didn't though, I made crispy-roast kale with it.

Put 13 shrimp on 1/2 cup of brown rice and you have a 6 point yummy meal (even with veg, add a point if you put on a LOT of carrots). Crispy kale adds 1 more point, and lots of nutrients. I'll post that recipe later this week.

* Now is the time to add in any veg you like, such as green peppers, onions, carrots, or whatever... just make sure they're diced small, lightly coated with corn starch and there's not more than 1/4-1/2 cup or so, otherwise you'll make the shrimp soggy. You don't want this. You might also want to double the spices if you do this, depending on your taste. Cook until al dente before adding the shrimp back.

No comments:

Post a Comment